Metabolism is the transformation of food into energy, a process when the body turns what you eat and drink into energy.
What factors affect metabolism:
- Composition of the body (which is more in the body - fat or muscle mass. The more muscles, the higher the metabolism)
- Sex (male or female: in men, the metabolism is 5-10% higher than in women);
- Age (with age, the metabolism slows down)
- Food thermogenesis (energy that the body spends on digesting food)
- Physical activity (the total number of calories that you spend daily in any activity).